This posting is a step by step, screen by screen, hold hand article explaining all features and options for the Trip Log application. The subscription version is not detailed here, please contact us because there are several options for it.
Table of contents
Application features and limitations
Settings after installation
Adding, changing geozones
Upgrades (in app purchases)
Extended reports and charts
Application features and limitations
The features are:
- the application has to be run at least once in order to be active.
- the application is running in background even if the user does not see it open
- it does not require GPS information unless there is an unfinished trip or the GPS motion detection is set on automatic
- even if the device is rebooted, the application knows to resume its activity
- even if the device is rebooted, the geozones information and assignment is not lost
- there are three ways to use the application:
- manual control : the user can do it from widget control
- trip detection with nudges/suggestions: the user is prompted/notified to start/stop a trip
- totally automatic control of the trip: in case of multiple vehicles, the user has to select a preferred vehicle and the sensors will control the trip starting and ending based on GPS or fusion sensor
- for not obtrusive running (or until the user adjusts the settings properly) there is a special setting in Sensor screen which will nudge the user for starting/stopping a trip
- trip suggestion or automatic trip
- the application supports both metric and imperial measurement system for distances (which is applied for each vehicle) but for the whole application settings requires one (set in Settings screen)
- for users who have to confirm location back to their office, there is a message/chat functionality which adds GPS information and email the message (Dashboard screen)
Trip Log is limited by the Android/iPhone system and those constraints are described below:
- the frequency of collecting GPS data is limited to minimum 1 minute
- based on GPS frequency, all events have a potential time delay of minimum 1 minute (geofence activity, idling runnings, stop trip)
- the application calculates the total distance in four modes:
- absolute distance between consecutive locations (when there is no mobile connection to backend)
- road distance between consecutive locations (Plus version and up, need access to internet)
- road distance extracted from OBD2 device (Plus version and up)
- distance computed on the back-end server (subscription version)
- as a consequence of the previous statement, the user might need to adjust the trip distance manually if there is no connectivity when the GPS location is collected
By default the internal structures are primed with some information. First, the user should go and introduce the figures and data valid for his/her vehicles.
Change vehicle information
From page Vehicles, the user has to select each vehicle and change it accordingly with his scenario.
For each vehicle you can change the maker, the model, the color, the license plate, the current odometer, the distance unit used (km or miles), expiration date for license plate.
For the paid version there is no limit for the number of vehicles.
Settings after installation
We encourage the user to set-up the parameters for running the application and it consists of two steps:
- application settings
- motion detection or sensor settings
The application settings are framing several parameters which are self explanatory:
- the frequency of collecting location data (in minutes)
- the idling threshold period
- the stop threshold period (trip ending can be triggered by idling in the same position)
- the distance unit used for geozones or other distances not related to a vehicle
This screen is to set the trip detection using GPS, power on/off or fusion sensor. By default the application runs in manual mode. Each feature enables automatic trip detection suitable for certain use of the mobile device.
When the mobile device is connected to the cigarette lighter it automatically detects ignition on/off and can be used for trip start/end events.
Speed Threshold is trigger for trip start and Trip Ends on Idling After X Mins. is for trip end.
In the case of motion triggered trips, the Motion confidence will trigger trip start, on foot motion detection will trigger trip end or the same as GPS speed, Trip Ends on Idling After X Mins. ends the trip.
Adding, changing geozones
The geozone is defined by the name, center location and radius. The distance is displayed in the distance unit set in the Application Settings screen.
If you long press on any row the menu options are shown as below image.
If you press on the plus sign (right up corner of the screen) then the screen to add a geozone is as below image. The first step is to go on the map in the desired location. By pressing the Search icon the user can enter the location as address or latitude, longitude entry.
When the location is found, the map is moving there.
The next steps have to be followed to draw a geofence:
- add the geofence name
- press Start button; immediately after, the start button is changed to Stop and Save button is disabled
- long press on map where the center of the geofence should be; immediately after a drop icon is drawn on map (as the picture above)
- long press anywhere on the map , where one of the points on the border of the geofence should be. A circle is drawn on the map, shown as the picture below.
- Stop button becomes Start and Save button is enabled again
- if the geofence is satisfying user’s criteria then finalize by pressing Save button
The new geofence is showing up in the list.
If you select the geofence, the screen below is shown.
The screen is split between assigned and not assigned geozones (two groups). The user can select any row (see image below) and the background for cells is changed in blue.
By pressing the arrow buttons the geozone is moved to one of the two groups (assigned or un-assigned). In order to save the configuration, the user has to save it (press swish icon). A message is shown at the bottom if it was successful.
This screen displays trip summaries and details along with locations on the map. Also, the filter selection of the trips can be emailed in HTML/Excel format.
Trip summary display (image below) is showing the trip tag, trip note, trip start time, trip end time, the distance and the average and maximum speed.
By pressing Map button and then again the row of the trip, the user can see all trip locations.
Touching one location in trip will move the map to that location (in center of the map).
The filter are based on vehicle, period, and tags. There is a maximum 20 trips shown at any time.
The selection of the trips can be emailed in HTML/Excel format (for the free version only HTML).
Here is an example of a trip received in the body of the email.
|TAG||Vehicle||From||To||Distance||Avg. Speed||Max. Speed||Trip Note|
|Biz||ford focus – AWB 984||03/11 16:59||03/11 17:29||16.93 km||34.52 km/h||73.18 km/h||Visit to Sparkling Smiles customer|
|03/11 17:29||S||0.00 km/h||(44.05757, -79.48596)||End|
|03/11 17:28||SW||0.00 km/h||(44.05772, -79.48574)||Location|
|03/11 17:26||N||53.82 km/h||(44.05651, -79.48073)||Location|
|03/11 17:24||SW||5.85 km/h||(44.0569, -79.47164)||Location|
|03/11 17:22||W||30.40 km/h||(44.05924, -79.46119)||Location|
|03/11 17:20||NW||30.40 km/h||(44.06082, -79.45435)||Location|
|03/11 17:18||E||0.00 km/h||(44.05128, -79.45297)||Location|
|03/11 17:16||NE||0.00 km/h||(44.04043, -79.45171)||Location|
|03/11 17:14||N||62.15 km/h||(44.03237, -79.44993)||Location|
|03/11 17:12||N||45.71 km/h||(44.02087, -79.44728)||Location|
|03/11 17:10||N||44.81 km/h||(44.00199, -79.44308)||Location|
|03/11 17:08||N||4.05 km/h||(43.98604, -79.43937)||Location|
|03/11 17:06||N||55.39 km/h||(43.96988, -79.43573)||Location|
|03/11 17:04||N||73.18 km/h||(43.95557, -79.43293)||Location|
|03/11 17:02||NW||6.30 km/h||(43.94334, -79.42883)||Location|
|03/11 17:00||E||45.04 km/h||(43.94297, -79.43897)||Location|
|03/11 16:59||NE||34.90 km/h||(43.94202, -79.44229)||Start|
What can be changed for the trip after it was recorded ?
For any trip the user can change the numbers for start trip odometer and end trip odometer, tag assigned, trip note or delete the trip.
Trip tags are used to filter and create reports selected by the purpose of the trip. The tag has a name and an associated color. Adding a new tag requires an unique name and color.
The tags are used in filtering, reporting, selecting trips for various reasons. Most of the time contractors and service technicians have to differentiate the trips for accounting purposes.
We always appreciate getting feed-back from users. In order to facilitate an open channel the user can send us a direct email with suggestions, problems, bugs discovered using Trip Log. Please use it abundantly !
The next paragraphs are features available for the paid versions of the application. The user has several options after paying for the PRO version:
- PRO version :unlimited vehicles, unlimited trips and locations, unlimited tags
- geozones feature enabled (maximum 99 geozones active) – was explained above
- extended reports and charts – detailed below
- advanced trip motion detection (via GPS or fusion sensor) – was explained above
Extended Reports and Charts
The report generation has three filters: vehicle, period and type of report. Charts are generated only for some reports. The images below are showing the option for filters.
Daily Activity Report
The report is displaying for each day the number of trips, when was the first trip started and the end of the last trip of the day, the distance for the day and the sum of the duration for all trips and the average speed for all trips.
Trip Summary report
For each trip, the attribute recorded are displayed: start/end time for trip, trip note, trip tag, trip distance, the average speed and the maximum speed.
Geofence Details report